Monday 7 May 2018

The Son-In-Law

I've read and enjoyed books by Charity Norman before but The Son-In-Law had me hooked even before I'd started the first chapter with the transcript of a 999 call to the ambulance service by ten year old Scarlett.


Joseph Scott has killed the wife he loved, and their three children, Scarlett, Theo and Ben, have witnessed it. The story begins as Joseph is released from prison after serving his sentence and his in-laws, Hannah and Frederick, have been bringing up the children.

One would think that the story is about domestic violence but it soon becomes clear that it's more complex when the full events of the fateful night begin to unravel. The book is written from three different angles, Joseph's story, Hannah's story and Scarlett's story with each of them having a different perspective on what's happened.

I liked how the author allowed the story to develop naturally and unfold bit by bit. Certain details made for uncomfortable reading and really made me question what my feelings were towards particular characters, and they weren't all favourable.

I would definitely recommend The Son-In-Law, I've enjoyed every book of Charity Norman's that I've read so far, so much so that I've just downloaded another by this author onto my Kindle.

22 comments:

  1. Better add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading this author's other books now. I haven't been disappointed with the three I've read so far.

      Delete
  2. Enjoying reading books by an author you like is always a bonus. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to find an author you enjoy, I really enjoyed reading this book.

      Delete
  3. I read this a while ago and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you enjoyed this book too. If you haven't already read it, I can recommend See You In September by the same author, this is my favourite of hers which I've read so far.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good! There's something about the covers of her books that puts me off but, after your recommendation, perhaps I'll try one in Kindle form or at the very least have a rummage through the donated books at our next fund raiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how a cover can put you off a book but I'm exactly the same. Some books just don't appeal to me because I don't like the look of them.

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of this one Jo will have to look it up on my kindle. I have read at least one of Charity Norman's books before I think it was The New Women.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The New Woman was the first book I read by Charity Norman. Give See You In September a go, I thoroughly enjoyed that one.

      Delete
  6. I read this a while ago on my Kindle, I really enjoyed it too. I haven't read anything else from this author though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed all three books that I've read by this author so I've just downloaded another by her, I'm looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  7. That does sound like a compelling read, I must keep an eye out for it.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kept me interested all the way though. I shall definitely be reading more from this author.

      Delete
  8. This does sound a very good read Jo, thanks for the recommendation.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly enjoyed it and have no hesitation in recommending it.

      Delete
  9. You do find the most interesting reads. another one which sounds gripping.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite choosy when it comes to books, they have to really appeal to me for me to read them so I'm not often disappointed.

      Delete
  10. Not an author I am familiar with... will mention your recommendation at the book group to others. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been disappointed with any of the three books by this author I've read so far.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I'm reading another Charity Norman book at the moment and it's another one I'm thoroughly enjoying.

      Delete